Thomas Friedman answers the Quora question,
The short answer is to get back to our tried and true formula for success. We had a formula for success in this country that dates back to our first President and has been reinforced and reaffirmed by all the best ones since:
- Educate our people up to and beyond whatever the level of technology is. When it was agriculture — universal primary education, when it was the factory — universal secondary education, when it is now services and the knowledge economy — some form of universal post-secondary education.
- Have the most open immigration policy to attract both the high-IQ risk-takers and the high energy aspirational workers.
- Have the most government-funded basic research to push out the boundaries of science and technology so that our risk-takers can pluck off the most promising flowers and start new companies.
- Have the best rules to incentivize risk-taking and prevent recklessness in financial markets
- Build the best infrastructure — ports, roads, airports, water ways and fast rail.
Taken from the Quora Digest, April 14, 2016